Sunday 15 January 2012

Hotdog Booklet:

Direction of my design: 
I have decided that as the book fair is aimed at a specific audience (art enthusiasts.) This means to be successful i must create a product that will appeal to this group of people as a whole i have looked into a range of art resources and reference material just to get an overall idea of what is already on the market. I have also looked into the current styles to hopefully appeal  to the audience. 

I found that this brief is giving me an opportunity to bring some of my personal interests into my designs, i feel that i should aim my design at a younger audience as i feel the majority of the people there will be of the same age bracket.  

Existing products












   


The task we where set was to create a booklet for the leeds book fair that is occurring
later in the year, During todays session we looked into the construction of booklets. Mainly focusing on 
(hotdog booklets) I have shown the stages of construction below. I have put this initial mock up together just to explore the technique and to get a better idea about the layout of the piece.
  

Start of with a3 sheet positioned in 
portrait format


Simply fold the piece directly in half 
length ways.


then fold in half this time fold the piece on 
a landscape format 


Proceed to fold the ends in half bringing the corners into 
the centre fold line. 


From the centre fold then cut from the centre to the 
edge on one side.


The slit then allows the paper to be manipulated with little effort
into  a little a6 booklet.



The image above shows how the booklet opens out into pages.

After the booklet was under some stage of construction I started to think about a cover for the booklet possibly some sort of simple packaging a sleeve for example this would just add some sort of finishing touch to the design as well as protecting the content. My specific theme for this design is (Circles) I will proceed to draw up some development of ideas along with design ideas for the content of the booklet.

I then decided that i would progress from circles to pattern design within circles, so i went out with a small group and photographed what i found to be patterns inside circles in the college and surrounding area, this was used as a starting point for inspiration for me. 

My Final booklet will be produced from a piece of a piece of a3 paper, I will hopefully get hold of some high quality textured paper, hopefully a paper with a heavy weight. I feel this will give the design a lovely feel/texture the design should then have a feel of importance and a high quality finish - this could be a key selling point as the design needs to stand out from the crowd. Consumers love to have a hands on feel of the product. 

I will look into Embossing:



I took embossing into consideration with this project as i felt that it would not only allow me to explore a new technique but it would also add a lovely handmade feel to the designs. however after finalising the design i had prepared for the embossing i realised that it was far to detailed at such a small scale to be effective so i decided to stick to the digital print method. 

Final product: 








The mistake i made with this design was that, i misjudged the target audience up until the day of the book fair i was under the understanding that i was designing for an audience around my age, however on arrival i realised that the target audience where older, This is something i will bare in mind when entering the next book fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment