Saturday 10 November 2012

Print Production: Design Development:

Moving on from my design development i am now moving onto the creation of my final design i am happy with my layout design and the diagrams i have created the next stage is once i have produced my editorial i must then look into the finishing and print techniques i will be experimenting with for the print production manual.






I have decided for this section of my editorial i will create sort of a swatch booklet for each of the paper types, This is just a mock up and the text is only place holder however this is just to show layout, The stock samples i have received from companies will be separated into all the different paper categories and will have a test design i have created to see how it react to digital print this will then allow me to look back at how the stock react and this will then inform me on whether i have made the correct stock choice. The tester will look at how the stock reacts to the colours of CMYK how readable and legible the letter forms are reproduced at 12pt 10pt 9pt. 








Moving on with my development as you can see i have now put both elements into combination, i feel that the aesthetic of the simplified diagrams run alongside the clean modernist layout giving the layout  a strong hierarchy and in my opinion a clean modern aesthetic.




Development of Diagrams for editorial_

I decided that as i have chosen to go with a clean modernist layout, i should then in turn also reflect this within the diagrams that will making up the content of the print production manual i have looked at existing diagrams for the print process then simplified them to make the process clear to me i feel this will work well in combination with the modernist layout however to make sure the design does not come across as boring i could possibly introduce a spot colour to the designs to make them stand out as well as giving me an opportunity to experiment with this.











Development and idea generation for layout: 

After looking into a wide range of visual research into editorial design i was heavily inspired by the modernist style of design and i feel that this is the most effective design choice to go with in my opinion, this is due to the mass information that the manual is going to contain. It made sense to me to follow this route in maximising reading ease i have also tried to combat this by stripping the content of my book down again to maximise the ease and usability of my editorial. I have decided to develop the layout that is left side top right, I felt that this design was the cleanest and used a perfect amount of white space not over powering the viewer, the next stage of my design development it digitalise this layout. 



As you can see i have also looked into ideas for the front cover of my book, although many people say do not judge a book by its cover, i still feel this has a huge part to play with attracting the viewer i know to me a product is all about feel. I have decided that i want the cover of my book to reflect the content I aim to experiment with de bossing on this cover no ing just pure de boss i feel this will create a beautiful feel to the product as well as giving me a greater understanding of print production as i have not yet done any de bossing.







No comments:

Post a Comment