Monday 27 February 2012

Design Principles Type and Grid:

We initially selected a double page spread from our chosen magazine, we where advised to select one that we felt we could improve (A well designed layout like Creative Review would be very hard to improve.) So i decided to select a basic double page spread from Todays Golfer. I then took the basic content and then re arranged them onto my grid system. These designs have been heavily influenced by  Modernist Graphic design where the typographic elements are to a strict grid system making communication the key focal point making for a strong hierarchy and readability.  


I have experimented with many different styles of layout, as you can see from my thumbnails i have gone onto experiment by increasing the amount of columns for my layout i feel that with increased amount of columns it gives me to work with when looking at the placement of text, however in some cases the guttering between the body text can make a large amount of text hard to read.






I experimented when preparing my images for my layout, looking into different effects that photoshop offers the only reason for doing this was to create a design that is much more aesthetically pleasing to the viewer.  



As you can see my final design has changed a lot since digitalised it, this was just down to my exploration within InDesign, i feel that although my design uses an 8 column grid i haven't used it to its full potential as you can see i haven't fit my text boxes to individual grids, as i felt this would create legibility problems. However i have experimented with a modernist style layout. 

and other features such as breakouts where the text is in a heavier weight than the body copy, i will be progressing my skills within InDesign just to gain a greater understanding of the column grid and how it can be used as a highly important design tool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment